Monthly Archives: September 2015
Okay I’ll be honest I’m not great about following all the beauty sites, and fashion trends, and tips and tricks out there. Which is bad of me, considering I ask you to follow me. HOWEVER mostly that is because I have a different view point on beauty and fashion. I believe that it comes from within you and needs to work with your lifestyle. Trends all come and go. And I’m just not into finding the next upcoming one. I am put together in a way that works for me. And I will put you together in a way that works for you. I guarantee that it will be trendy, but I know my trends from what I see, not on speculation of what will be. I think of a lot of the beauty blogs as the stock market. It’s based on what could/should happen, not on what is happening nine times out of ten. I’m so much more interested in what is happening.
SOOOOOO with that said I actually have put together a little list of beauty hacks that are actually things you might do. They are things I do. I find so often that I read these great hacks and either I forget them, or they are actually more work than they seem to be, or they are just plain stupid. I’ll admit some of these might be stupid, at least one takes more work than I was initially lead to believe, and I have no issue if you forget them. On the flip side I bring them up because as a working mom on the run, I will take any hack that makes life easier for me and allows me to look trendy!
- Dry Shampoo/Baby Powder- OMG are you my friend. After 24 hours my hair looks so horrible. The roots look so greasy and yet the rest of it not so bad. Finally figuring out how to use dry shampoo or baby powder has been such a blessing.
- The key to baby powder is one to use it sparingly and two to use it the night before so that it’s not leaving giant white spots. Make sure you put it on and then work it through with your fingers or a brush.
- As for the dry shampoo – the key here is to extend your arm as far away as possible when you spray. Also just spray the roots. Flip at different parts of your hair to get underneath and then brush through.
- Don’t overdo either of them.
- On a side note if you are like me and hate hairspray and moose dry shampoo does great at holding too.
- The “I don’t have time for doing my hair in the morning” trick.
- Greasy hair
- Night before wet your hair brush and pull through hair to get hair damp
- Get a headband that goes around the whole head and is comfortable. Place on your head, on the outside of your hair, even in the back.
- Section off hair (I do four)
- For tight curls twist each section then wrap the section around the headband completely
- For loose curls just wrap each section around the headband completely
- Go to sleep and undo in the morning.
- Run your fingers through the curls
- Brush only the top of your hair and use a little dry shampoo if desired
- To add to the tight curls, pull into a low side pony for a different look.
- Comfortable work wear- leggings, leggings and more leggings. I say this and my work dress policy is no leggings. You know what I wear to work- leggings. The key is nice leggings. Invest in them, you will thank me. Embrace a throwback to the 80’s with big sweaters (Old Navy has some great ones) and jazz up the outfit with semi-put together hair, boots and a kick ass piece of jewelry. Or throw on a sweater dress with or without a kick ass belt, again add semi passable hair, jewelry and boots. I get more compliments on these days for looking good and I feel like I am in my PJs. It’s fantastic. A reminder again though the accessories are the key!
- Blondies this one is for you- your hair feeling dull and you need a quick highlight? Grab your big powder brush and super light powder concealer or super light eye makeup. Yes, you are hearing me correctly. Apply the powder make up to your hair. The powder absorbs any grease and the light color gives you instant highlights.
- Treat yourself like you treat your kids and pick out your clothes the night before. Sorry, but so true. I don’t dress my daughter in the morning. The looks she chooses for herself are fantastic. My husband’s choices are better, but still entertaining. The solution to give her control and make his life easy is I hang her clothes up by outfit after doing the laundry. For me I have done this two ways. The first is like hers. As I was putting the laundry away on Sunday I put my five outfits together for the week and just hung them ready to go complete with underwear and socks where I get ready in the morning. I do this 25% of the time. The rest of the time right before I go to bed I get my outfit ready for the whole day. I’ll be honest I don’t like it. I miss waking up and seeing how I feel and then choosing what I want to wear based on that. HOWEVER the time it saves is wonderful. If I’m going to try on ten outfits I do it when I am not in a rush so I can get a good feel for everything and in the morning I’m not second guessing myself when I haven’t had my coffee yet. It took a few weeks to get used to, but I so highly recommend it.
So there you are. Nothing crazy new, nothing life changing, but maybe just maybe a something to save you a few minutes here or there.